This week felt like a great accomplishment. It’s been just about a year, which actually seems crazy how fast the time went, since I first starting writing my book “Cancer on Monday, Dead on Tuesday, Home by the Weekend.” My manuscript went through two different edits and I got it back from my publisher for the first time in almost five months to work on and make changes.
I pulled up my book from my email, along with another attachment that said “items of concern.” I read through the notes that were made and thought the list should be easy to fix. Here’s where my lack of technical skills comes into play at times.
I got my book back on a Tuesday and when I was on the phone with my publisher the next day she asked when I thought I could get it back to her. Now I have only a limited amount of time to work (nap time and after the kids go to bed), but I said I thought by Friday no problem. She seemed sort of shocked.
I let her know I read through the pages she sent and it seemed pretty simple.
“Did you see all the notes on the sides?” she asked.
“Hmmm, no, what notes on the sides?”
Problem #1. Apparently my computer opens everything in Wordpad instead of Word.
Problem #2. I didn’t even know there was a difference between them. What I learned. Wordpad’s formatting makes things look very different from the original and I could not see what was written in the margins.
Problem #3. I had no idea how to fix the issue, again not really computer savvy.
“So, okay, well I guess when I figure out how to actually see the notes (nine pages of them was apparently what I was supposed to be looking at), I’ll let you know how long it will take,” I told her.
Whew. Nine pages. Friday was absolutely out of the question. Thankfully, with some helpful advice I was able to get my computer opening attachments as it should and saw the notes. I’m happy to say I got there, eventually. I bought my first flash drive (what a handy little device I have been missing all my life), took it to the closest Staples, got the book printed and bound and brought it home ready to get to work. It’s truly a wonderful experience to have something you’ve worked so hard on in your hands.
The first night, which was thankfully still a summer schedule for our family, I worked until midnight and when I was finished realized I had only gotten through Chapter 3. Wow. At this pace this book isn’t going to be out until Thanksgiving.
Each night I got a little quicker, though, and it actually only took about ten days in total. It was a weight lifted off my shoulders and felt amazing to actually be done close to 365 days from the time I started. It’s funny when I began last year, I thought I was done the moment I wrote THE END. I didn’t actually write that but you get the symbolism, right?
What I learned is that was only the beginning. This process has been very consuming and much more work than I ever thought possible. My adoration for people who write multiple books has soared now that I have seen what needs to happen to get a book through the publishing process and out to people.
But, we are so close. The book now goes into a proof and is checked over one more time and then it’s off to print! I hope that this book will be inspiring to all of you, I know writing it I was continuously amazed at all God has done in the lives of our family. Watching it come together almost does not seem real, but I have always believed if it was meant to be, God would find a way.
To follow this blog, sign up by email at the bottom of the page. Follow the book and like it on Facebook at “Cancer on Monday, Dead on Tuesday, Home by the Weekend.” Please share and help us spread the word of this inspirational story.